First of all, we’re talking about a movie in which humans turn into bears and a witch has a talking raven. I can accept a universe with magic and talking bears, I can sure as hell accept a universe in which there were black people in Scotland by around the 10th century.
Not to mention there WERE NON-WHITE PEOPLE IN EUROPE BY THEN.
Seriously. Black people weren’t just sittin’ around with their thumbs up their asses waiting to be discovered and enslaved by white people.
Let’s have a run down of Non-white people who did have contact with Europe, and could have been in Brave:
- -The Egyptians (many of whom where, yes black. Some of them were more middle eastern in appearance, but many were undisputedly Black as well),
- -the Ghana empire
- -traders and goods from China that traveled along the silk road and Indian Ocean trading routes,
- -The Moors (of Northern Africa) who had sustained contact with Europe, especially after the arrival of Islam into the region, which increased international trade
- -fuck, God damn HANNIBAL with his fucking war elephants marching over the alps and making the Romans piss themselves
- The First Crusade happened in the late 10th Century, and Europeans had been making pilgrimages to the Middle East long before then.
- The entire Arabic world had plenty of contact with Europe through trade.
ALL had contact with Europe by the 10th century.
I know that in school we’re taught that History was made by white people, and the stories and experiences of the rest of the world tend to be systematically ignored until Atlantic Slavery comes along, but this is not reality.
Europeans had contact with non-white people for thousands of fucking years before imperialism began.
—> Another recent movie, called “The Secret of Kells” set in Ireland in the 7th Century had both black AND arabic characters in it.
I ADORED Brave as a movie. I thought that it’s focus on female relationships, instead of the standard heteronormative romance was really refreshing. It’s a movie that I can not wait to show my children growing up. BUT this does not change the fact that the complete and utter erasure of PoC in Europe’s history is still problematic.
oh my god who fucking cares seriously?
If you didn’t care why did your ignorant ass reblog it.
Because the first post was too goddamn hilarious not to reblog. It’s not like poc were just walking around the streets of Scotland back then.
Actually there were Black people in Scotland, that shows how much you know about the country.
I never said there wasn’t any I said I doubt they were just strolling around the streets in such large numbers like that. But seriously it’s a movie that had nothing to do with poc characters and everything to do with Merida.